Saturday 17 April 2010

Stained Glass

Is one of my favourite things to shoot, so as I was in North Yorkshire and Westmoreland earlier on this week, I took the chance to visit three churches and get some samples.

First of all some detail from Settle Parish Church










Then I went onto the nearby village of Giggleswick where the piece above the altar just cries out to be photographed










and with a day to spare having completed my research I went to Appleby in Westmoreland. First time I've visited and a wonderful little town. Detail from the Parish Church there

2 comments:

  1. Hello Gordon,
    Great Photos! Thank you for posting them. All of these windows have been painted and fired in a kiln. The vivid golds in the baptism window are also paint which is called silver stain. The silver stain is fired on the back. It is fired at a lower temperature so it is fired last.

    Laura Goff Parham
    http://sotaglass.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura thanks for this. Yes I know I call it stained glass when it's actually painted - but I use the term as a generic one. I have some more from other churches and will post them soon. Good to hear from you

    ReplyDelete